Here’s a Foraging guide to help you find food in Project Zomboid. Level foraging to increase your search radius and find better loot.
- Leveling foraging increases foraging search radius (Search Mode).
- Unlocks better loot that can be found (See below Loot Types).
- Unlocks more Focus Types (See below Search Focus).
- Foraging can be leveled up by finding and picking up items.
- You can also watch Life and Living for some Foraging XP.
|0||Berries, Mushrooms, Herbs, Wood, Stones, Junk, Junk Food, Clothing, Weapons, Medical Supplies, Trash, Insects, Lemon Grass, Medicinal Plants, Wild Plants|
|2||Wild Veggies, Tents|
|4||Wild Fruit, Ammo|
|5||Oranges, Daikon, Rats|
|7||More Fruit, Vegetables, Frogs, Birds|
|8||More Fruit, Vegetables, Eggs, Squirrel, Traps, Hiking Bags|
|10||Pineapples, Watermelons, Rabbit|
When in search mode the search radius is the area around your character of which you can find items.
Search radius is affected by the following:
- Foraging Level
- Weather (rain, snow and fog will reduce radius)
- Time of day (darkness will reduce radius)
- Clothing (some face items block vision)
- Moodles (Hunger, Exhaustion, Fatigue, Panic, Stress, Pain, Drunkenness and Sickness will reduce radius)
- Occupations and Traits
If you’ve taken the short sighted trait just wear glasses to negate the search radius penalty.
In the search mode window players can choose a particular type of item to focus on while searching. This grants a bonus to that category that is being focused on.
The below table shows the chances of a focused item overwriting any given drop:
|Focus||Level||Min Focus Bonus||Max Focus Bonus|
Certain items have bonuses these include:
- Plants that have a night time bonus.
- +50% chance bonus to Firewood during Fall.
- Most berries, vegetables, herbs, insects and animals can’t be found in Winter.
- Beauty Berries, Holly Berries and Winter Berries can only be found during Fall and Winter.
- Higher chance of finding items in locations where they are typically found eg. Firewood in forests, stones on streets and trash in towns.